We provide the following services

Design & Feasibility

These services can be provided for projects where you need to carry out some investigation to ensure that a project is financially and practically viable, or you may need to gauge how a Local Authority planning department would view a concept. Sketch schemes and 3D modelling techniques are very useful to convey this information, prior to making a decision about proceeding with gaining Statutory Approvals.

Building Information Modelling (BIM)

BIM is a digital representation of the physical and functional characteristics of a building throughout it's life cycle. A Building Information Model allows us to share this information with clients and other consultants and is very useful in helping you to visualise designs. This is achieved through the use of 3D models that can be viewed by clients on a common platform. Once a model is produced, this is uploaded to the cloud and it can be viewed via a password protected link, giving you internal and external access to the model as well as traditional 2D plans and elevations, all conveniently stored in one location.

This is provided as standard for all projects at no extra charge to the client. There are also VR viewers available, which are compatible with all smart phones, which will give you another level of visualisation, allowing you to 'walk around' the project. These can be purchased direct from Graphisoft or borrowed from the Practice.

Planning Permission

This is usually the first stage for most projects, and can be bewildering for people with little knowledge of the system. Planning laws and guidelines are constantly being implemented which can affect Permitted Development rights, especially with regards to extending properties. I will meet you on site so that we can discuss your requirements and find out exactly what you are looking to achieve. I will then provide a written fee estimate, which will clarify the design brief and outline the required scope of works and timings.

I will then return at a convenient date to carry out a measured survey of the property. I would then send a first draft of plans to you either by e-mail or hard copy for your approval or subsequent amending, as required.

Once complete the plans will be attached to the Planning Application forms, which I complete on your behalf. I will also produce any additional documents required by the Local Authority depending on the type of application. Typically this can include Design & Access Statements, Heritage Statements, Applications for Listed Buildings and certain works within Conservation Areas, and Flood Risk Assessments for affected areas. The application is then sent to the Local Authority online via the Planning Portal. Upon receipt of fees and registration of the required documentation, the application will then be given a reference number and a date for determination (usually eight weeks from registration) and you can monitor your application on the Council's website.

Building Regulations Approval

Assuming your Planning Application to be successful the project will usually require Building Regulations Approval. This involves the production of more detailed plans, including working sections and a specification. This can then be submitted to the Local Authority or a private Building Control Consultancy for approval and usually takes about 4-5 weeks depending on their workloads.

Once approved, you are safe in the knowledge that provided your builder does not deviate from the specification and the plans, that your project will meet the Building Regulations requirements and will be "signed-off" when completed, an important factor when you may come to sell the property. A Building Control Surveyor will inspect the works at pre-determined stages, to ensure the builder has been compliant with current Building Regulations.

Specifications & Schedules

A well written Specification and/or Schedule of Works, which accompany a set of plans, will greatly aid a contractor in compiling a more accurate quotation for the works. Certain types of Specification are mandatory for Building Regulations. However, additional documentation can be produced which covers all elements of the construction process and leaves nothing to interpretation. This type of document will also form part of a tender package if required.

Tender Procurement

When you have the necessary Statutory Approvals in place then you can approach contractors to do the work. I can carry this out on your behalf by helping to draw up a short list of suitable companies. I will then formulate a tender package and send this out to each contractor. I will then evaluate the tenders with you and make a recommendation based on the information supplied and the reputation of the contractor. This type of work is separate to the gaining of Statutory Approvals, and is usually calculated as a percentage of the Contract Sum; this is the amount, which the contractor agrees to do the work for.


Taking the procurement stage further, it is also possible to formulate a contract between yourself and the contractor. I can help you select a suitable form of contract and put together the necessary documentation for you. When you have selected a suitable contractor, the documents can then be signed by both parties giving you an official legal agreement, and works can then proceed.


I can undertake regular site monitoring on your behalf to provide progress reporting, checking general standards of workmanship and to provide a photographic record. This service does not include project management of the works or contract administration, as I often recommend an unadministered contract for domestic works of a relatively uncomplicated nature. If contract administration is required, we can discuss this further, with an alternative form of contract; which may be more suitable for larger projects and/or commercial clients.

CDM 2015

The Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015 are the latest set of regulations which govern health and safety within the construction industry. All construction projects, including even the smallest domestic job now come under the umbrella of this legislation. I will provide all the necessary pre-construction information which is now required by the HSE under these new regulations.

Other Services

There are occasions when it will be necessary to refer clients to other consultants for specialist areas of work. I can help source such consultants who will need to be appointed separately by the client; these can include:

  • Structural Engineer
  • Party Wall Surveyor
  • Asbestos Surveyor
  • Building/Quantity Surveyor
  • Land Surveyor
  • Arboricultural Specialist
  • Energy Assessor
  • Ecological Consultant
  • Solicitor
If you have a project you are thinking about then get in touch! Contact Us